Though I was able to find a way to happily move on with my life, there has been one wound that has been slow to heal. In the years since I moved away from Utah, a move that seemed to be the catalyst to much pain and heartache in my life, I had been unable to return to that land I loved.
Until a few weeks ago........
Due to the passing of my father-in-law, we had the opportunity to travel to Utah for his burial. David and I decided to continue up to the Provo/Salt Lake valley after the services, to spend a few days visiting old friends and places. Or in other words, to provide me with some much needed healing and resolution.
It was an indescribable feeling. On the day that we went up to Salt Lake, as we rounded the point of the mountain, I was overcome with emotion of seeing the Salt Lake valley again after so long. I turned to David in tears and told him how I felt like I was returning home. David tried to be very sweet and consoling which he deserves a lot of credit for.....afterall, what man wants to have to deal with a wife in tears any more than he has to?
I know that Utah is not meant to be home to me at this point in my life, but for a few days, my soul was fed with the soothing reassurance that my life is okay having left all of that behind. I have learned to grow where I'm planted and to appreciate all the blessings that surround me now, but I also so needed to bring closure to that part of my life.
And, in the short time that I was there I got to spend time with a few of my oldest and dearest friends. I was so thrilled to get to spend time with these ladies!! They have always been there for me through the good and bad and being together was just like old times!
Thank you Cami for allowing us to invade your home and leave a mess in our wake (you know what I'm referring to! )
I also had the sheer pleasure of being able to attend the Relief Society General Conference session with these gals and afterwards we enjoyed a delicious meal at one of my favorite Salt Lake City restuarants, Tucci's. We talked and laughed and just had a fabulous evening! I miss you girls!
I only regret not having enough time to visit everyone I would have loved to see, but I am resolved that it will not be another six and a half years before I make it back!
In the meantime, my soul has been fed and healed and coming back home (as I have learned to accept it as) was nearly as refreshing. Afterall, I have learned to grow where I've been planted.
~Katy
I totally understand! I think the time I spent in Utah last Summer was the healing ointment I needed to return to Texas for another year. I'm so glad that you got to return, even if for a short time.
ReplyDelete